I'm back

Hello lovelies, it has been a minute. I've missed you, I've missed writing in this blog. I've missed reading. I've still been listening to audiobooks, which don't get me wrong, that is 10000% still reading and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. But, it's not the same to me. I grew up watching my mom listen to audiobooks while she cleaned or did chores, I always struggled because my mind would wander and I wouldn't hear anything happening in the book. Until I started using my library app a few years back to listen to audiobooks on my commute to work. Audiobooks are a godsend in traffic. It really gives you that hour of time almost back, you can immerse yourself (mostly) in a story and enjoy the drive much more. 

I love audiobooks now, for commuting or cleaning, or doing my nails. I struggle if my hands don't have something to keep them occupied. But, it's not the same, to me when I think of reading, I always get this fond happy feeling, I instantly picture my childhood home back in Colorado, the trees, the loft area Mama turned into a library with the comfy glider. When I get the urge to read, I'm getting the urge to get super comfortable, snuggle the cat, make a cup of tea or coffee, go outside to a park and fully immerse myself in the story. Not listen to it while making sure no idiot rams into my car during LA rush hour traffic. 

I have been doing most of my reading for the past month via audiobooks, which means I've been reading much less and much slower. I just finished up my first week at a new job. It is fantastic and I'm really excited to be expanding my skills and learning new things. I also didn't realize how much I missed that hour of decompression time in the car listening to a book. 

My first escapade back into knocking out an audiobook every week or two was "The Hating Game" by Sally Thorne. It is a romcom, enemies to lovers, office romance, with two bitter rivals. 

Lucy has always wanted to work in publishing. Working at Gamin is her dream job, though she has been stuck in the assistant position for far too long, she adores her boss Elaine and loves the work she does. She is fun and bright and bubbly, everyone adores her.

Josh is her opposite. Everyone is afraid of him, he cut 30% of the workforce from Bexley right before the merger. He's cold and harsh and spends the majority of his day fighting with Lucy. 

Now with a new position up for grabs they are both doubling their efforts into torturing the other. One of them could be the next COO of B&G. Who will get it and who will resign following the announcement? Will they take it too far?

This book was adorable. I love both the characters, Lucy is so loveable and quirky, you end up wanting to be her and simultaneously wanting to be best friends with her. Josh's character seems like a total asshole but I really loved diving further into his character, the way he is written you can't guess his secrets automatically and it is perfect!

My only complaint is how everyone was telling Lucy that Josh was so mean to her because he was in love with her. I love a good enemies to lovers, I'm down with that. But for me it's really triggering to have the situation where someone is saying this guy is so mean to me I wish he'd stop and everyone around them is like "he's mean to you because he likes you" and then wonders why so many women end up in abusive relationships. 

The moral of the story? 1) your kids are never too old for you to fuck them up more 2) it's never too late to try again 3) respect people's choices damn it and finally 4) just because someone doesn't effusively greet you when they first meet you, does not mean they hate you or think you're ridiculous. As a life long shy person, I can honestly attest that I probably wouldn't have said anything either because I am shy as hell. 

Comments