Be yourself, no apologies

How would you react if you were legitimately tortured when you attempted to fit in? Would you try harder to fit in? Or would you say forget it and be unapologetically yourself?

Yes I know, I'm reading way to much into a romcom. But, hear me out. I love when I find underlying themes and lessons in books. Abby in "Falling for your Best Friend's Twin" by Emma St Clair; is so unapologetically herself. She chose the second option. She chose to take the trauma and pain inflicted on her and become a complete badass. Excuse me, but my nerdy bookworm ass wants her confidence. Abby is this quirky tech genius working towards creating her own start up firm. She lives with her four longtime bestfriends including her BFF Zoey. Abby is a freaking gem. I LOVE her. 

I can personally attest that her way of going about things is the way to do it. I just wish I had even more of her confidence. As a young person (with a baby face) I can attest that there are so many instances where people assume simply because I look young, I get excited about projects, I'm happy and smiling...that I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to anything serious in my profession. Jokes on all of them, I have an incredible mentor and actually know a lot. My point, Abby is underestimated because she wears clothes that make her happy, she jokes and is laid back. When the reality is, she is being herself and that makes her better at what she does because she is not wasting energy conforming to their expectations....I...WANT...TO...BE...Her.

Okay on to the actual Romcom parts...Zoey recommends Abby to her twin brother Zane. Zoey is of course an avid supporter even going so far as to recommend Abby to her twin brother Zane. Abby has always had a teeny crush on Zane, but has never even entertained the idea of it going further out of respect for Zoey. Zane is too busy for real relationships and works far to much. I think you can guess what happens next. 

Isn’t that the most comforting part of romcoms? That they’re a little predictable, that we’ll laugh, maybe cry and everything will turn out alright? I know that’s why I turn to them, they’re lighthearted and fun. 

I feel like I also find a lot of hidden messages inside of Romcoms though too. They're easy to slip the subliminal messages into....if I haven't been quite loud enough, this one's subliminal message is to be so unapologetically yourself that you couldn't be different if you tried. 

This was a short fun read, I read it in a night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I laughed, I cried, contemplated my entire life, the usual. 

Comments

Post a Comment