When you find a masterpiece

You know that feeling? When you’ve just finished an incredible book and you’re realizing for the first time, having that moment of clarity, that you are holding a pure treasure in your hands? It’s one of the best feelings in the world, to read the last word, close the book, and feel this sense of belonging, peace and wonder. 

 

Maybe I’m just weird, but I’ve had this feeling with a few books, where if feels like you’ve encountered a masterpiece. Now my “masterpieces” might not be the same as yours, you may pick up one of these books I’ve gushed over and felt no connection to it. But, I do believe everyone has these books if they are an avid reader. 

 

I can name four instantly off the top of my head. “Shadow Castle” by Mariam Cockrell, “Children of Blood and Bone” by Tomi Adeyemi, “The secret life of Addie LaRue” by V.E. Schuab and as of last night “We are the Brennan’s” by Tracey Lange. 

 

These books are magic, at least to me. The funny part is I probably couldn’t even tell you why, only that the moment I read the last word and closed the book, I felt that sense of magic, that I had just read something special for the first time. 

 

“We are the Brennan’s” is Tracey Lange’s debut novel. It only came out a couple of days ago, thanks to book of the month I’ve actually had it for about a month, however, reading slumps and all, I only just got to it. 

 

This book was emotional and beautiful and I don’t even know how to describe it. It follows Sunday Brennan as she returns home following a 5 year stint across the country from her family. Her reason for leaving is shrouded in mystery and as she integrates back into her messy family secrets begin to unravel on all fronts. 


This novel is about family, both biological and chosen. About the choices we make as people, as parents. The wounds childhood can cause and how vulnerable someone is after trauma. The regrets and amends, and the fact that secrets never really do stay buried. 


I don't want to say more because I am still processing and also I feel like if I dive into any of my thoughts I'll be spoiling the book and I want everyone to g read it. However there is a trigger warning for brief mention of a miscarriage and an assault, it is brief but if you are triggered by these topics, proceed with caution or maybe skip and wait for the next novel Lange puts out because her writing is beautiful. 

 

Go read it, because there is something vital and magical in this story. 

Comments