The book you’ve waited so long for

I found out at the beginning of this year that a favorite novel from last year had a sequel coming out. To say I was excited was a rather large understatement. I stalked the authors Instagram waiting for the preorder link and pounced as soon as I saw it. I’ve practically wished the month of June away because I couldn’t wait to receive it. Though I did decide to treat myself to the prequel so that I could re-read it as a refresher before diving in. 

“The Secret Keeper of Jaipur” by Alka Joshi is a sequel to her amazing novel, chosen by Reese’s book club, “The Henna Artist”. This new novel follows Lakshmi and Malik twelve years after the conclusions of the events in “The Henna Artist”. Malik is grown, graduated from school, a refined young man, visiting Jaipur at Lakshmi’s request as an intern with the royal building committee. Lakshmi is married to Dr Kumar (that’s not a spoiled, we all knew that was coming, come on). Radha is married, with two young children, living in Paris. Radha’s baby is now 12, oblivious to his adoption and thriving with his parents in Jaipur. The events that unfold are intense, Ravi and his parents are again in the midst of a scandal as the new theater they have constructed has collapsed on opening night, killing 2 and injuring many others. Who better to dive into the mysterious collapse than Malik. This novel also introduces a new trio of characters Nimmi, a young widow and her two young children who have captured Malik’s heart. 

One of my favorite things about this novel is that it’s told from more than just Lakshmi’s perspective. While I love her and her perspective, I loved getting to hear from Malik directly and I loved having Nimmi not only thrown in but part of the story told through her eyes as well. 

It made me happy to see Malik doing so well. He is such a lovable character, from that ruffian of the first book to the sophisticated gentleman of this novel, he still holds his personality strong. He’s still the boy who will do anything to help the people he loves. He’s still the boy that notices and always has his eyes out for a deal, for the snake-like ways of others. Malik has always been a favorite character….

Though I’m also quite partial to the elder Maharani. How can you read the scenes with this vibrant older woman and not  fall instantly in love with her. She might be a Maharani, but life has not been kind. Yet she still has a fire in her, she still is kind at heart and humorous. 

This novel really made me think about the impressions we make on people, how simple moments can affect so much. Even the guard at the palace gate remembered Lakshmi. Twelve years later. With however many people must pass through or attempt to pass through those gates every day. The man remembered her face, because I’m some way she made an impact on him. It’s just another reminder to never take our influence for granted. Lakshmi was heard out because she helped the younger Maharani with her depression, through simple herbal remedies and henna. Lakshmi made an impression, she could have stopped anytime and deemed the Maharani unable to be cured, but because she was willing to take the time, to feel the other woman’s sorrow and not shrink from it, she was able to accomplish something important in the future. 

My point…smile at people, be kind (except to creepy men, be mean af to them so they go away). Have compassion, you never know how much a little compassion can affect someone else’s entire life. 

Also watching certain people get their karma at the end of the book was beyond satisfying….like beyond, may have pumped my fist in the air. Take that villains. 

Comments