Werewolves

My third book from my Indie TBR this month was “Werewolves Jez & Cole” by L.C Miller. Jez is forced to live with her abusive mother while her werewolves father and twin brother stay with their pack. Jez only sees them for two months every summer, the best two months out of the year for her. In her father's pack there is only one female werewolf, they are deemed extremely rare and almost non-existent. Jez knows the truth though, that women do not change until someone they love is threatened. In Jez's case she changed when her stepfather almost killed her. No one in her family or their pack knows her story or that she is a part of a neighboring pack known as the Cloverfields. Not even her bonded, as he refuses to be with her for fear her brother (his best friend) and her father (his surrogate father) will no longer accept him as part of their family. To make matters more complicated Jez's mother is still at large and still after Jez for reasons unknown. 

This book was a fun read. The mystery surrounding why Carrie (Jez's mom) is doing what she’s doing and what it all means keeps you on edge. Yet that’s not what I kept coming back to the book for. I wanted more of Jez and Cole. They’re cute okay, even if Cole is being a giant dumb head. I have a soft spot for soul mates. Forbidden love, etc. 

I did want to kick Cole's butt for the way he treated Jez. Yes I get it they are bonded, he can't keep his hands off her, but to keep shoving her away saying they can't be together. Make up your mind man. I'm not saying that to be mean, I get his hesitation, I've been there...I'm not a werewolf calm down...but I've been there in worrying what your family will think, especially found/adopted family, about who you are with. My husband has been best friends with my brother in law since middle school or high school. They grew up together, they are practically brothers. My brother in law is the big brother I never had. So when I fell head over heels for his best friend I was very hesitant because I was worried he would be upset by it...you know what that got me? 4 years of not being with the person I loved...don't worry we're together now and have been for several years, and all to find out that my brother in law and my sister wanted us to date and be together because it's cute. My point? Cole needs to pull his head out of his ass and go talk to his found family and realize they aren't going to give a damn that he's now part of their family in an even further way. 

Jez deserved Cole to man up. She deserved so much better...from everyone. I want to yell and scream at her dad and yet I know it happens. Kids are good at hiding things and she did all she could to hide her mother's abuse for fear her mother would harm her father and brother. She was good at it, only Cole noticed that things weren't adding up. That every summer she had a new scar and seemed relieved to come home. Mostly I wanted Carrie to suffer as much as she made Jez suffer. I can't wrap my head around a parent especially a mother being able to treat their child that way. I know that happens too, it's not even a shock really (too many true crime episodes) but it's so saddening. Carrie is a monster.

It made me so happy that Jez had Devon and all the Cloverfields. I hereby vote that the small town pack be dissolved and the Cloverfields take over. They seriously know what they are doing. The STP on the other hand...really ya'll, your leader had a "former" gambling problem that caused his wife to leave...that doesn't sound like a liability? They are not the brightest bunch. 

All in all this was a fun quick read with a kickass girl who didn't need a man standing up for her and it was great. 


Comments