Realizing a book is a favorite

You know those books, the ones that the moment you open them and begin reading, it feels like an old friend is hugging you? Those are the best ones, the ones that will be read over and over by me. I’ve only had a few where I experienced this feeling on the first reading. But I can always tell when I reread a novel if it’s going to be one of those the moment I open it. 

I had this experience a few days ago when I opened my newly purchased copy of “The Henna Artist” by Alka Joshi. I first picked up this novel as an ebook from the library last year, I was looking for something new to read, it was available and had Reese’s book club sticker on it. While I have only read a few of Reese’s choices, she has yet to pick an un-phenomenal book. As soon as I see her sticker on an option I’m like yup it’s probably a good one, whether it’s a book or genre I’m interested in is another matter, but I have no doubt it will be incredible. So I picked it up and fell into Lakshmi’s world. 

“The Henna artist” follows Lakshmi Shastri, a 30 year old Henna Artist living in Jaipur, India. Lakshmi has managed to build a business for herself after escaping her abusive arranged marriage. Everything is beginning to fall into place for Lakshmi, her business is booming, she’s building a house, more lucrative enterprises and opportunities are being opened to her, she’s a woman on the rise. Until the 13 year old sister born after she abandoned her marriage and ran for her life, appears on her doorstep seeking refuge and hearing the sorrowful news that they are both now orphans. Lakshmi takes her sister in and attempts to provide a good life for them, however her sister is naive and was never taught the ways of the world at home with their mother. Lakshmi’s sister Radha falls pregnant by a prominent family’s son and all Lakshmi’s carefully laid plans begin to unravel. 

This novel is honestly beautiful, and in spite of all the crazy twists and turns of it, the stress Lakshmi is dealing with. Joshi’s writing is such that you can flow through the story a casual observer without your own mood being altered….mostly

I do find it angering how much blame is placed on Radha’s young shoulders. She’s a child, seduced by a boy 5 years older than her, a boy who actually understands the potential consequences of sex. Radha doesn’t even realize she’s pregnant until Lakshmi pieces the symptoms together and tells her. How could she, her mother was in such a deep depression her entire life, she was taught nothing. Lakshmi was trying to keep food on the table and a roof over their heads and had no experience raising children. Ravi knew what he was doing and had already fathered more than one child with his recklessness. I know it’s a symptom of the times and his privilege. It still makes me angry, mostly at his parents who covered up his mistakes and moved on rather than actually teaching their son to use half a brain and not sure bastard children all over the place before he even turned 18. The way women were treated in past circumstance and still are in some circumstances today makes my blood boil. 

However overall I find myself strangely at peace when I read Joshi's work. Her work is enjoyable. In 10 years we'll be calling it a classic. Her words are powerful and wonderful and I honestly cannot wait to read more.

I didn’t realize I would be reading this novel again, but earlier this year I discovered Joshi was working on a sequel and it would be coming out this year. I’ve had the sequel preordered since preorders opened and have been anxiously awaiting it. I decided I wanted to get my own copy of “the henna artist” and reread it to refresh my mind before reading the sequel. I’m so glad I did, I feel like I’ll be revisiting Lakshmi several more times. I shouldn’t have been worried about needing to remember though as the sequel “the secret keeper of Jaipur” has plenty of quick little reminders in it to help it stand alone (look for my next blog about that novel). 

Comments

  1. Quit it! You're making my reading list toooooo long. Ha, ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But there's so many good books out there! I promise not to show up at your door with any more books in tow until you've had a chance to finish some of the ones I brought already.

      Delete

Post a Comment