Raven

"Raven" by Kami Garcia is a graphic novel that follows Teen Titan, Raven in a short story about discovering her powers. In the novel Raven's foster mother passes and Raven moves in with her foster mother's sister and niece. Due to the accident that Raven and her foster mom were in (causing her foster mom's death) Raven has lost all of her memories. She cannot remember anything about herself, she can talk, walk and function like any other teenage girl, but in her mind she is lost. She couldn't tell you what her favorite color is, why she owns the clothes or books she owns. Anything about her foster mother. 

As Raven begins school in her new town of New Orleans she begins to experience strange phenomenon. Raven can hear people's thoughts. She has nightmares that feel so real, and she always sees a Raven in them. 

Through the help of a psychic, a sweet boy at school (with a dark secret) and her Aunt and cousin, Raven begins to put together the pieces of who she is. A half demon who has been kept hidden from her father. A girl who possesses immense power and must be careful not to get too emotional lest she make a mistake. 

I read this graphic novel cover to cover in one sitting. It is incredible. I was never very big on superheroes, I didn't grow up reading comics or watching cartoons on tv. 

My only interaction with Raven up until now has been watching "Teen Titans Go" on Hulu with my 5 year old and reading him a comic in the same series as the show....



I liked this so much better. Seeing Raven depicted as a teenage girl instead of a cartoon was really grounding for me. I want to read an entire series of thick heavy novels about this girl. She has always been my favorite when watching the cartoon with my son. Probably something to do with her snarky attitude and habit of reading books while snarling at or zapping anyone who dares to interrupt. I feel her, I am her a little bit (not the half demon part, but the cartoon attitude definitely). 

One aspect I really appreciated is that Garcia pulled Raven into her own separate little arc. I know the next in her series is about Beastboy and then Beastboy and Raven together. But having Raven pulled into her own world, adding back-up characters that weren't Robin trying to take over (I have series issues with Robin at least in the kids show), it was incredible. 

I also loved that the setting was New Orleans and the voodoo and magic of the area was brought into play. As I mentioned I don't know much about Raven backstory so I'm not sure if that was originally a part of her tale or if that was something that Garcia added, but I enjoyed it. 

Definitely a 10 out of 10, a compelling quick read. 

Comments