The Trace

"The Trace" by Adelaide Thorne is a suspense novel that focuses around a specific subtype of the human  race. Metahumans as they are termed are children born with unique abilities, they are more physically an mentally agile than the average child and are also telekinetic. Apparently this is something that can be discovered shortly after birth and in most instances the families relinquish their babies to the MTA where the children grow up training as soldiers in a war against their counterparts the grifters. Grifters originated similar to the Metahumans however they do not look human, they have to gouge out eyeholes, mouths etc and live separately from humans. 

The story follow Ella Kelper through her own personal journey. Ella's parents refused to surrender her to the MTA as a baby and as such she grew up believing she was completely normal. Only to be kidnapped and shown the truth as a teenager when the grifters come after  her. 

I got this book as a complimentary copy through voracious readers only. My first book through them and a wild ride I will not soon forget...To say that yes I will be getting my hands on the second novel and reading it because I need to know what happens to Ella. What happens to the MTA. I just, I need to know okay. 

I loved the twists and turns of this novel, that it was told solely through Ella's perspective so you didn't get any information she didn't have yet. Leading you to follow the same path of belief, same misguidance same everything as her. This aspect really pulled me into the story, I felt that I was in her perspective. 

I thought it was interesting how the MTA didn't really leave a lot of room to question them. The kids were basically brainwashed. Hardly any material was available on their enemy. 

I also found it intriguing how easily we as humans are swayed. It wasn't really a shock that Ella believed everything the MTA told her, she had no reason not to. She had been threatened by grifters and the MTA played on that perspective to insure that Ella followed what they deemed important. That she followed their perspective of things. 

To me the book started off really fast paced and really pulled me in, but then in the middle it really slowed down. That could have partially been me, I reached the middle on a really bad mental week so my unfocused mind may have just been having trouble keeping an excited pace with the story. Though I feel that it was a bit slow in the middle compared to the beginning and ending.

All in all though I enjoyed this novel. I enjoyed the suspense and mystery and I loved the way your mind is completely blown towards the end. Like everything you though you knew, you didn't actually know and following Ella on that journey was fantastic. 




Comments