February In Review

I cannot believe it's already been two months of incredible books this year. I'm at 26 books out of 108 on my yearly goal, which means I am actually ahead, watch my dive into a reading spiral and be behind by the end of the year....At least I'm ahead for now. Ok fine 3 of those were picture books, but lets focus on the positive, that I stopped adding those to my goodreads because I read 4 a day to my five year old who is stalling bedtime and knows I won't say no to another book...it's a problem.

This book was mainly the "Bridgerton" series by Julia Quinn, I want all of her novels ever! I love her writing, I don't make it 24 hours once I start a "Bridgerton" without finishing it. Which makes me every more mad that in an effort to not spend all of my money on books, I have been ordering two at a time and keep getting stuck in backorder because of the netflix series. Ah well, not like I don't have an ever growing pile on my shelf of new reading material and an ever growing list every time I go on instagram and see another book I want to read. 

February is also Black History Month, please do not get me wrong, I am in no way saying that means you can only read black authors in February or you're a bad person, I am in no way saying that black authors should only be read in February. They should be read constantly and given the same hype and access to publishing and getting their work out into the masses as their fellow white authors.

Towards the beginning of the month my sister asked me for a book recommendation in her favorite genre by a black author. I send my family, my friends, everyone book recs constantly asked for or not. But I could only think of one in that genre for her, since then I've upped it to 3 but I need more, any fantasy suggestions by black authors hit them my way...also anything in the same vein of any of these books...seriously I love good book recs. 

Back to the point I've compiled some recent reads that I've loved by black authors. My goal is to have this list much, much larger and ready by the beginning of February next year so anyone looking to me for new reading material suggestions to honor Black History Month has some fun options. 

Contemporary Fiction

"Honey Girl" by Morgan Rogers, this book is incredible, it's a different take on the whole "what happens in vegas", it covers, life, love, identity, living up to parents standards. It's brand new, just out and you should read it 

"Behold the Dreamers" by Imbolo Mbu, about a family who migrates to New York from Camaroon

Historical Fiction

"The Water Dancer" by Ta-nehisi Coates, such a powerful story, it follows a slave turned free man throughout his life, it has some elements of fantasy in it and is such a powerful and beautiful story. 

Suspense

"When No One is Watching" by Alyssa Cole, this one gave me chills. It's so spooky but especially because it wouldn't be something I would be surprised to see on the news, horrified, but not surprised and that's really sad. But it is a thrilling and intense ride. (I hate horror and am borderline with suspense but I loved this one)

Fantasy (which is what my sister asked for)

"Children of Blood and Bone" by Tomi Adeyemi...the best book I have ever read, so incredibly written. The second book was good, not as overpoweringly epic as the first, but I don't think anything could ever meet or top that one. 

"The Gilded Ones" by Namina Forna, I haven't finished this one yet but I kept seeing it on bookstagram and the colors on the cover are so beautiful it draws you in and I finally gave up on my self imposed book buying ban and ordered it and I am soooo glad I did. It follows a young girl who is a descendant of demons according to her country who is cast out and becomes a warrior of the land. Like I said, haven't finished it yet but I'm confident enough to recommend it. 

"Wings of Ebony" by J. Elle, I haven't read this one yet but it's on my list. I'm huge about cover art if the cover art and title draws me in I'm sold haha. 

Romance

Anything by Jasmine Guillroy, she writes hilarious romances and I love her writing, 

also Talia Hibbert

Seriously the most fun contemporary romances I have ever read. 

Factual History

"A Long Way Gone" by Ishmael Beah, this one will break your heart but I think it's a super important read. 

Comments