Plans Change, That's Ok


Yay! Sneak preview for you all, technically "Honey Girl" comes out in a few days on February 23rd, however with book of the month I was able to purchase an advanced copy, and I'm telling you, I loved this book, it was sweet, it was heartfelt, it was painfully relatable. It was beautiful...

Honey Girl” is about a girl desperate to live up to her father's seemingly impossible standards. On a celebratory trip to Vegas after receiving her doctorate Grace gets far too drunk and wakes up married to a mysterious girl who has fled the scene, leaving behind only a business card and her scent on the pillows. This hilarious debut novel takes you through the twists and turns of this accidental meet, through the shambles of Grace’s life after achieving everything she’s worked so hard to achieve. A brilliant take on the familiar “what happens in Vegas” troupe. 

The whole “what happens in Vegas” theme is one of my favorites it always proves to be hilarious, and yet I feel this novel was more serious than most along this line. It dealt with the very real issues of most 20somethings today. After years of schooling we are in debt, burnt out and completely unsure of where to continue our lives. I loved the realness of it. The mental health struggles, the seemingly life crisis atmosphere that was so blatantly shown.

Grace is so relatable, a girl who has worked so hard to achieve so much. What do you do when you’ve spent your life working towards a goal? But even more than that Grace was faced with discrimination and underestimation the minute she walked in the door of any interview. Grace was underestimated for being a woman, for being black, the literal moment she walked in the door. No one stopped to realize that she had a doctorate, that she was so organized and dedicated to her plan to be this incredible astronomer. How do you work through that when you have given your all to a goal.  

More so how do you continue on when you feel like your chosen career path is a dead end? I really wish as a society we could be less judgmental about changing our plans. Grace was so worried about changing to teaching when she saw the doors of scientific research labs closing to her simple because of who she was. But why? Obviously it wasn't her plan but she enjoyed talking about her passion so much so why not? 

My Mom went to school and became a paralegal before I was born, in my lifetime she has been a librarian, a personal assistant, and now she is a certified Zumba instructor and the happiest I have ever seen her at a job. My Mom had me late in life so she's a lot older than a lot of people would think. I can't tell you her age one because I can barely even keep up with how old I am and secondly because it isn't polite to correct all the people who think my Mom is younger than she is. My point is, she changed careers completely, late in life. That's a good thing, because she is happy, she has something she is passionate about. We need to stop boxing ourselves in so much. Oh well they went to school for that if they don't become exactly what they dreamed of before they started school it's all a waste....why? Why is it a waste. Grace had a doctorate. If she never did anything in Astronomy again, she was still a gat damn doctor. That's an accomplishment, something to be proud of, but not something that should be held over her entire life. 
 
Rant over, but if you aren’t happy or don’t know what to do next please consider being flexible with your plan.

I was so happy with the end of the book. Rogers wrapped everything up with a nice little bow and it didn’t seem rushed or like oh crap I have to wrap everything up.

My point, read this book, it’s beautiful and simple and deep, and Morgan Rogers needs to write like a million more!

https://bookshop.org/a/21193/9780778311027 

Comments