Love her wild

 As a general rule I've never been very big on poetry. I'm not really sure why, I
just don't spend a lot of time reading poetry. My husband is the complete opposite. He loves reading poetry. He has his favorite poets. I have favorite poems, the few various poems I actually enjoyed. 

Until I discovered Atticus. I shouldn't say I discovered him, my boss told all of us at our annual company Thanksgiving about this poet she was following on instagram. I love Atticus' poetry and thus this book was originally bought as a surprise for my husband. An attempt to surprise him with a gift that involved something he liked that I actually liked too. 

I love the length of the poems, they're all short. More like a mantra than a poem. Words that you can grip onto at any moment and hold tight. To me Poetry is feeling. It's like music, it describes how we are feeling in that exact moment. So yes sometimes other people won't understand that poetry unless they have been through that feeling themselves. 

I pulled this book from the shelf a few nights ago because I had a strange urge to read poetry and while I pulled all of my husband's poetry books from the shelf, I wasn't able to concentrate on any of them but Atticus. Probably as I've read most of his poems on instagram on a daily basis since I was told to look him up. It was like listening to a familiar friend with the same advice I'd heard a million times, the same antidotes and happy moments. 

Atticus is probably most famous for his poem "Love her, but leave her wild". The perfect description of the relationship everyone wants. Where they are loved so unconditionally that they are completely free to be exactly who they are and no one less. That's probably the reason why his poetry is my favorite. It is life. It is relatable. It speaks to you on such a personal level as though he knows exactly what is going through your brain. The poems speak of love, romantic love, a love for life. They are love poems, beautiful and sentimental yet not mushy. 







"Love her Wild" by Atticus 

https://bookshop.org/a/21193/9781501171239 

Comments