Jayne isn't as tough as he thinks


I may now be two novels into the "Firefly" series, but I am in no way anywhere near done freaking out over actually having a book series based on my favorite show. 

Jayne is a gigantic dummy, but he's kind of a loveable one, he's that lovable slightly psychotic guy who isn't the brightest of the group. Would probably stab you in the back if he thought it would benefit him as he's shown time and time again. And yet I've always felt that somewhere deep down...very deep down, he has a heart. 

So having an actual vindication of that feeling was great. Haha. Seeing Jayne suddenly get all Papa bear over his suspected daughter was beyond cute and proved that somewhere deep down he has a heart. He just has to really really care about you as family. 

His taste in women is clearly suspect though. That ex of his...oooooh she makes me so mad. I hate women like her. Leading both Jayne and little Jane on to get what she wanted was really shitty. While I completely agree with her decision to not reveal to little Jane who her real father was, I don't think allowing her and everyone else to believe she was Jayne's was in any way fair or ok. Clearly Temperance was just doing it to get what she wanted. Like yeah sure she's your kid, now you'll solve my problems with her real daddy right? No! Be up front about it for peetes sake. 

I'm also probably doubly ticked off because I'm super sad that in the end Jane wasn't Jayne's daughter. He made the most adorable instant dad. Jane was the perfect daughter for him, all spunk and attitude. 

All in all, so far the first two books of the series have been fantastic and I am excited to read the next two. I loved that Lovegrove consulted to make sure his mandarin swearing was on point. 


"Firefly: The Magnificent Nine" by James Lovegrove


Bookshop https://bookshop.org/a/21193/9781785658297

Comments