Accidental Thriller Reads

Writers that pull you into their writing until you have to be practically screamed at
pull yourself back out of the novel, writers that pull you in to the point of you feeling genuine fear and sadness are the best kind of writers. I'm sure we can all agree on that, and if not, well then my opinion is they are the best. They have found the true art form in writing. The reason we all read. To escape into a different reality, whatever that reality may be. 

I don't read a lot of what I call "scary books" haha. I don't read murder mysteries or suspense very often. I say I read everything but let's be honest, I am a good novel, historical fiction, fantasy and romance girl. I am the biggest scaredy-cat (not counting my cat of course because that poor animal is a bigger mess than me). I have nightmares if I watch a horror film. I can't read a murder mystery unless I read the entire thing before I next sleep or I will have nightmares and freak out. I need happy endings damn it. I need the bad guy caught and preferably not to have the pants scared off of me first. 

"When No One is Watching" is my first venture into Alyssa Cole's writing. But honestly even if they scare the crap outta me I think I need to find some more of her books because she is one of those writers. The writers that pull you in, that by the time I put the book down and respond to my husband he's already mad because he's spent five minutes trying to get my attention. 

This novel was intense and terrifying and I could not put it down. I read the entire thing in a day, I mean I was also recovering from accidental dehydration (1000% don't recommend go drink some water) so I couldn't really leave my couch, but having this terrifyingly suspenseful novel made me not want to leave the couch as badly. 

I love how throughout the story you get tidbits, you know something is going on. You can tell something is off, but you don't get enough to fully figure it out. The big reveal was way worse than I had anticipated. I had figured that the new very clearly racist neighbors were involved somehow but, using the neighbors they disappeared as guinea pigs for their scientific advancements...what the f. 

I was definitely raging through the book. It drives me absolutely nuts when people think they can do whatever the hell they want with no consequences. That they think the entire world owes them something. Like no assholes, someone already owns that house, find a different one and stop being such a brat. I know it's a work of fiction, but the sad thing is, it wasn't far fetched. I wouldn't be surprised if I heard of something that horrific happening. Obviously I'd be horrified and appalled but surprised, not so much and that says a lot about our society. 

I think that was the point. All of these people were disappearing and no one batted an eye. I loved that she drew a comparison to the history Sydney found of the area and how basically they were just repeating history. I'm a big believer in the fact that if we don't remember history we are doomed to repeat it. But, in the opposite vein this company that wanted to take over the area, gentrify it, build their giant facility were using the history of the area as a cheat sheet. The roadmap for their crazy and appalling schemes. 

"When No One is Watching" is an incredible novel. It will make you think, it will make you rage (Kim is vile, vile vile), and it will scare the crap outta you. 


"When No One is Watching" by Alyssa Cole

https://bookshop.org/a/21193/9780062982650 

Comments

Post a Comment