A Court Of Silver Flames

"A court of silver flames" is the most recent novel in Sarah J Maas' A court Of
series. The beginning four novels (though the last one is labeled as 3.1 and I'm entirely confused). Focus on Feyre, the youngest of the Archeron sisters. I love Feyre, she is fierce and badass and her and Rhys love story is one for the ages. 

However, this most recent novel focuses on Feyre's oldest sister Nesta and on on of Rhys "brothers" Cassian. The story follows Nesta nd Cassian's love, Nesta's power and the uphill battle Nesta is faced with after leaving the cauldron with crushing guilt and depression. 

I have always hated Nesta. She was a straight up bitch. So cold and hateful towards Feyre. Bitter that her life had ended up what it was and taking it out on everyone around her. I found it hard to ever have any sympathy for this woman...until I read this novel 

Nesta has been through hell. Reading a novel through her perspective I want to wrap that poor woman in a hug and never let go. As someone who struggles with depression and particularly struggled through some pretty intense post-partum depression a few years ago I sympathize with Nesta sooooo much. 

To anyone who has never felt worthless, who has never felt guilty over things that they couldn't change, that weren't even their fault. I salute you and I pray you never understand. But for those of us who have...I feel like watching Nesta
triumph is extra special and especially important. 

What I think a lot of people don't understand about depression is that it doesn't matter what anyone says to us. It doesn't matter how much we are told we are worthy of love that we are not to blame for this or that. Our minds literally do not let us believe you. Reading the innermost thoughts of Nesta's brain I understood her completely. Do I approve of her behavior? Of course not, not the careless partying after being turned fae nor the hateful attitude while still human. I do however understand why she essentially "bit" anyone who came near. Why she was searching so hard to numb herself.

Nesta like so many of us struggles with intensive guilt that is completely misplaced. She struggles with self loathing and a serious case of intrusive thoughts. 

I loved watching her go from downtrodden to kicking some serious ass. Please please please can one of the next novels be about Gwyn? If you haven't read it yet I won't ruin it for you but Gwyn is my new favorite character. I love her, she is epic and deserves a book of her own! 

I feel that more than just continuing the saga, this novel pushed home a very
important point. To never give up, on the people you love or on yourself. Once Nesta began trying, she never stopped, never stopped until she could accept herself. The Night Court never gave up on her, they kept pushing and trying, and no they didn't always know what was best and they didn't pretend to. They tried one approach, and when it failed they tried another. 


In short I loved it and I highly highly recommend you read the entire series....and everything else Sarah J Maas writes....


"A Court of Silver Flames" by Sarah J Maas 

Comments