Firefly

6 years ago when my husband and I first started dating he asked me to watch an old show with him. I watched the first episode and thought, wow what is this weird space cowboy bull shit? Looking back, I think I was in a phase of feeling too cool for anything, that's the only explanation I can think of as to why I did not immediately fall in love with everything about "Firefly".

This past year, I sat down on a lunch break working from home and watched the first episode with him again. To say I fell in love is a little bit of an understatement....I am obsessed. It is my favorite thing and I am extremely upset that Disney is making a new version of it with different actors and in a more PG format. I want the same space cowboys I fell in love with damn it. 

Now that I've had my tantrum about Disney....

Last year I also found the comic books and speed read through them. At christmas though, Hubby came up with the jackpot of all jackpots. There is a series of novels that James Lovegrove has written in collaboration with Joss Whedon (the creator of Firefly). Hubby got all of the available novels...for us he says, silly man I am stealing all of them and hiding them away in my book collection because mine! 

I was so excited, yet still a little apprehensive, would it be true to the characters and story I loved? Reading the first novel "Big Damn Hero", it is exactly the characters I love. Captain Reynolds and Zoe were the same sassy pain in the neck characters they are in the show. Kaylee was just as adorable in print as in film. River just as crazy. It was perfect!

"Big Damn Hero" follows the band after the series I believe but before the movie as certain people are still alive that wouldn't be after the movie (I don't want to spoil anything but this is hard!). 

I loved watching Zoe kick ass in "Big Damn Hero" as Mal is kidnapped. Which was actually kind of the best part. Not Mal being kidnapped, obviously he's my favorite. But the book gave flashbacks into Mal's past that explained more why he is the way he is, what lead him to join the browncoats etc. 

I'm honestly interested to see if the next book in the series follow directly in "Big Damn Hero" footsteps. Especially since in order to save Mal they had to dump all of Badger's cargo and if I've learned one thing about Badger, he's not going to be to pleased or understanding about that sorry state of affairs. 

My point is, if you haven't fallen in love with "Firefly" yet, please please please, take a look at the original before this new version comes out. I will of course be watching the new version with Hubby though I reserve the right to be extremely grumpy about it. At least I have 4 more novels to read with the original actors in mind. 


"Big Damn Hero" by James Lovegrove


Comments