Don't skip the middle book, or you'll miss a lot

If you read my post back at the end of December, you’ll know I accidentally skipped the second book in the “Kanin Chronicles” by Amanda Hocking. My Mom is the one who first turned me on to her writing with “Trylle” and her other series in the Troll world have been on my list since. 


Having recently acquired the first book and then lent it to my Mom, of course, Mama got me what she thought was the second book for Christmas. I didn’t bother checking and just powered through it and long story short we accidentally skipped the second book. So Mama sent me the second book (thanks Mama). 


I was planning on skipping the second book and going back later until it arrived at my door. The way Hocking writes is peppered with quick little reminders that make the story flow easily no matter how much time you’ve left between books. You could even potentially read them as stand alone novels and not feel like you were missing the story. 


Now that I have caught up and read “Ice Kissed” (the second book in the “Kanin Chronicles”. I can’t believe I almost missed it. “Ice Kissed” is definitely my favorite of the three. A rare occurrence there has only ever been one other trilogy where the middle book was my favorite, normally I have a lot of trouble getting through the middle book, while I’m obsessed with the first and last. 


There's so much amazing content that I would have missed out on had I skipped this book. And if you haven’t read the book and want to read it, now is where you stop reading...Mama this means you. 


I would have missed the second trip to Storvatten, which is so packed with the relationship Bryn develops with their Queen and what actually happened with Prince Kennet. Bryn is such a badass, she has a prince flirting with her and her response is, this is unprofessional please stop. Yes girl! I love seeing women owning their power and not getting all swoony every time a man pays attention to them. It’s refreshing. 


There were also more pieces of the puzzle. I now understand Queen Mina. Of course she wanted to come after King Evert. Of course she was trying to bring everything down and wanted to rule on her own. She wasn’t just a power hungry diva. She was technically the rightful heir to the throne, ousted because of her age and passed over to a man. I would have been pissed too. I thought her vengeance was due to her idolization of her father and him being outlawed. Now I understand his motives behind his actions as well as hers. They thoroughly believed they had been slighted. And let's be honest, if the crown passed to a ten year old girl she would need an adult regent to help her...probably her father...so not only was his daughter removed from the line of succession. Viktor Dalig saw a chance for power, and then saw it snatched away, I’m not sure I fully believe that his entire rage was only due to his daughter’s slight. 


This just brings me back to King Evert again. Dude why did you not keep tabs on that ten year old girl. Not only did you make her father who she clearly idolized, public enemy number one. You legitimately stole her crown….and you didn’t expect her to ever come after you. *sigh* it frustrates me. Obviously him being an idiot was necessary to have this amazing story but all my brain can focus on when it comes to King Evert’s character is come on man. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer….or at least be aware when you marry them.


All in all it was a fantastic book. I love the vivid worlds that Hocking creates for us and the badass female characters kicking ass in them. 


“Ice Kissed” by Amanda Hocking

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Ice_Kissed/qQcRBwAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=0


Comments