Bridgerton....Need I say More

Is anyone else completely obsessed with Bridgerton on Netflix? I am unashamed to admit I have watched the first season twice….and might go through it a third time as I wait for the second and third book of the series to be back in stock and arrive at my house. 


I was so excited when I realized the show was based off of a book. I am a very firm believer that the book is almost always better than the movie (or show) created from it. There is imagery and wording, details and scenes that can’t possibly be captured in film and therefore something is always left out. 


There’s also the issue of the script writer wanting to make the story theirs. Of course in and of itself this is not a huge issue, of course they want their work to be a reflection of them, of course they want to put their own mark on it. But, inevitably this causes minor changes to the story, which may not seem to be anything more than minor, but to someone book obsessed such as myself that difference is huge. 


Needless to say the show was exquisite...I’ve watched it twice and am holding myself back on the third time, it would be a lie to say that I wasn’t in love with it. 


However….In my opinion the book was a million times better (which I didn’t think possible). I finished it in under 24 hours without sequestering myself to a corner of the couch and refusing to move all day, thank you very much. I also ordered the next two in the series before I even finished the first and am kicking myself for not just ordering the whole series so I don’t have to wait again. 


Why do I think the book is better? Despite my preconceived notions. Most shows or movies don't give you a moment to read the characters minds. Whereas in a book you have moments where you are reading exactly what the character is thinking even though they aren't saying that. There's only so much that can be said with a look, though they may be able to say a lot in that fashion.



I loved the scene where Daphne and Simon meet so much more in the book. In the show it’s cute and funny and holds a bit of truth to the situation. But, in the book the moment Daphne punches Nigel, is actually the moment she and Simon meet. Which I’m sorry but is so much more hilarious than her bumping into him running away from Nigel. They also have an instant and interesting attraction in the book making all of their exchanges more hilarious. I feel like they tried to do that in the show, but there’s only so much you can say with a look, rather than actually writing out the intimate thoughts of their minds. 


Mostly it felt that the differences were added to embellish and dramatize the show which is completely understandable. The show is amazing. I cannot wait for the second season. Though I also will not be waiting for the second season to read the second, or third or eighth book. 



"The Duke & I" by Julia Quinn



Comments