When you stumble across a wealth of badass female characters


A couple years ago my Mom recommended a book to my sister and I that was much more our speed than hers. My Mom recommends some great novels, but they are more novels than fantasy. Her main reading trends towards murder mysteries, which give me nightmares haha. My sister and I are constantly telling Mama how this fantasy or that fantasy was a good series and she’ll often read them after we recommend them, though they are less often what she recommends to us as books she has read and loved. 


A couple of years ago Mama recommended “Switched” by Amanda Hocking...I loved the first book so much I picked up both the second and third from the library on the same day because I knew I would tear through them. Right after that I found her “The Kanin Chronicles” series and added it to my reading list….


If you haven’t figured out by now, I am horrible about my reading list. I find these amazing books I want to read. Add them to the list and forget about them for a couple years until I accidentally stumble across them again and once again decide to read them only realizing that they’ve been on my list for a couple of years already. I’ve been trying to remedy that flaw and ordered the first in the series…


The whole concept of trolls living in secret “cities” amidst us is intriguing. When I added the book to a list of books I wanted to read I had no idea it was interconnected with the first trilogy that I had read. I honestly can’t remember the names of the characters in the first books so I don’t know if there’s any actual character crossover. But the Trylle are mentioned and the Vitra. 


I also found out today when adding the book on goodreads, that she wrote a series for each of the troll tribes she mentioned in the Trylle and Kanin stories. To say I’m excited is an understatement, they are now all on my neverending list. 


Amanda’s novels are so easy to read. They’re full of adventure and mystery and suspense thrown in with everyday life and sprinkled with fantasy. You can pick up the book and look up an hour and a couple hundred pages later and not even have realized that your nose had been buried in the book for so long. 


I loved the main character of the Trylle trilogy (even if I can’t remember her name, I remember loving her). But Bryn has definitely won out as my favorite of the characters so far. She is badass. While the Trylle trilogy followed a Trylle troll that was a changeling being brought back and transitioning into the roles she was born for. The Kanin Chronicles (at least in the first book) follows a tracker. Bryn brings the changelings back, she’s an outcast, a “halfbreed” the melding of two different tribes. While this leaves her without any “special” powers or abilities unlike many of the Kanin she grows up around, Bryn is a force. She is tenacious and strong. She’s the girl that you cheer for and love because of her fierce personality and determination. 


This weekend was the first time in a few weeks that I’ve actually wanted to read. The stress of our American election was too much for me to handle. While I recognize that winning the election does not solve all of our problems, it is merely a step. I was finally able to breathe a sigh of relief when I woke up to the announcement. Reading a novel about a badass girl kicking all the boys asses at her job right after seeing another badass woman shatter a glass ceiling for women; was the perfect culmination of my weekend. 


I cannot wait to follow Bryn into the next book of the series and Amanda’s characters through every single series about the troll world. 



“Frostfire” by Amanda Hocking

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Frostfire/6mL2AwAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=0

Comments