The Girl Who Loved the Ripper


I am a giant wimp. I sob in haunted houses and have refused to go in one since high school. Like sob my eyes out, it's embarrassing, but I’m too terrified to care. I can’t read a murder mystery unless I stay up all night finishing the book to make sure the bad guy is caught or I will have nightmares and get no sleep anyway. I can’t watch horror movies, they end in tears also. 

...and yet I love spooky season and wanted to really give myself the seasonal experience this year. I am so glad I stumbled across Kerri Maniscalco’s “Stalking Jack the Ripper” series. It is sooooo good. I read the first book in only a couple of days.

There is a lot of gore, the protagonist is a young girl learning the ins and outs of forensic autopsy, and Kerri did try and keep the real accounts of how Jack the Ripper’s victims were found so if gore bothers you, do not read or skip over those parts because it is detailed.

Okay trigger warning done, haha.

I love female protagonists, in a male dominated world my feminist ass gets so excited when I find series with female protagonists, especially ones set in times when women were, well treated kind of like property.

I’m not big into serial killers, the majority of what I know about them is from friends who are fascinated or by watching Bailey Sarian the last few months and listening to the stories she tells. So I don’t know a lot about Jack the Ripper, I did look him up very briefly after finishing this novel, only because I wanted to know if they ever actually caught him (spoiler, in real life they did not in fact ever know for sure who this psycho was or why he committed the crimes he did).

I’ve heard speculation in the past that his mother may have been a prostitute and that’s why he went after specifically prostitutes, that he was angry at her and enacting revenge through these other women.

I liked the theory Kerri posed in the book, that perhaps he was a student of medicine much like Audrey Rose and was trying to successfully complete an organ transplant. He chose prostitutes because they were expendable (to him and much of society) and easy to assault.

The mystery of who was Jack the Ripper and Audry Rose’s extreme determination to solve the case was a whirlwind ride. I loved her fascination and determination to be whoever she wanted to be to learn and thrive and reject the social constraints that tried to be placed on her.

All I can say is that I did not see the ending coming...at all and it was incredible. I cannot wait to read the next one as I’m sure it will be just as fascinating.

"Stalking Jack The Ripper” by Kerri Maniscalco
https://www.google.com/books/edition/Stalking_Jack_the_Ripper/wqyTCwAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=0

Comments