My attention span is all over the place


It seems like years ago that I used to sit in traffic for a couple hours every day commuting to and from work. How exciting it was when I realized that my local library had an app I could download and borrow audiobooks from. Commuting went from boring and stressful to a glorious span of “me” time, diving into some really great books. Last year I read the first in Sabaa Tahir’s “Ember in the Ashes” series. By read I mean I had it read to me which is perfect. 


I actually struggled a bit getting through the second book as I received it as an ebook not an audiobook, I could still hear the voice actors in my head as I read the different characters parts. I still find that infinitely hilarious how some books are better as audiobooks or you are used to it as an audiobook and then have trouble reading it as a normal book. 


Aside from that one little hiccup (on my part, obviously nothing against the book for my shortcomings), I love this story. I am deeply attached to Elias and Laia’s stories. Helene is not my favorite character. I don’t think she’s supposed to be our favorite character or the one we really focus on or root for, I feel bad for Helene. 


To love someone so much, not only as her best friend but more, to have someone you’re that close to, and then be asked to not only cut them out of your life but to choose between killing them or having your family killed. How do you make that decision? I love that Helene isn’t all good or all evil. She doesn’t throw her hands up and refuse to make any decision, therefore condemning everyone in the process. She grapples with the decision. Swings back and forth, tries to find the right way out. I feel like in this book I was more drawn to her because of that, because of how intense that decision process was. 


I realize the entire thing was a test, however Marcus definitely needs to be assassinated. I want to read the next book partially just to see if he is, partially also because I love the series. But, what kind of leader thinks that posing tests that you are going to do whatever the hell you want regardless of the outcome can stay? I will be soooo happy if Elias comes back and puts him out of his misery. 


I did not see Keenan coming, until right before Laia figured it out and then I was like damn….damn...how the...damn. Definitely caught me off guard. Like 500 miles off guard.  That was sneaky, and perfect. I’m kind of mad at the soul keeper for not slipping some info to Elias though, like give the guy a hint of what he’s up against please. 


All in all it was a really enjoyable read even if it took me forever to actually get through it, thanks to my currently very, very short attention span. 


“A Torch Against The Night” by Sabaa Tahir

https://www.google.com/books/edition/A_Torch_Against_the_Night/V-FxCQAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=0

Comments