When you miss the entire point of a book because it hits an nerve and you're raging


I initially chose “An American Marriage” as I am trying to diversify my reading list and be more conscious of my own consumption of stories. It was a good book, I don’t regret the time I spent listening to the audiobook….

I do however have strong feelings about Celestial. Hate is a strong word, but I think I actually might despise this character. I spent pretty much the entire book angry with her. Wanting her to step the F up and consider for a moment what Roy was going through and what honesty could really do for him.

Anyone who knows me well, knows that not only do I despise cheaters, but that I despise them because I think cheating is the most cowardly thing you can do. If you don’t want to be with someone….don’t be with them, and have the guts to tell them, to their face before you move on. I have never seen a point in cheaters.

Now in Celestial’s case, it’s not the cheating I’m mad at her for. I understand that Roy was locked away for years and she’s human, she got lonely. Having not been in the same situation I can’t really speak for what I would do in that situation, though I’d like to think that I would have been more up front about it. I mean...she went to the prison and told him she didn’t want to be his wife anymore...why didn’t she divorce him right then and there.

I’m sure some people will not agree with me on this point. Yes it seems cruel to serve a man divorce papers when he can’t “fight for you”. But then again, I don’t believe you should have to “fight for” the person you’re married to. Please do not misunderstand me, marriage is work. You have to work at it and show the person you love them and show that you are committed and there for them. But if you’re having to fight to get them to want you over another person, is there really even a point anymore. Aren’t they already gone at that point?

I’m getting side-tracked. I could go on all day about how cheating is pointless and makes me want to shake sense into people, but at the end of the day that’s a topic that is deeply personal and everyone has to deal with that in their own relationship however they see fit. In short, it’s really none of my damn business.

Celestial essentially dumping Roy without divorcing him was the first moment she pissed me off. Oh but oh I had no idea what was in store. To not even have the guts to tell him she’d moved on to his face...she sent her BOYFRIEND to do it. Let me repeat that she sent her BOYFRIEND. Girl what the hell are you doing. You really think that’s going to end well? And then she’s surprised that Roy caught on and came to talk to her alone.

Obviously, this man has been through hell, serving time for a crime he didn’t commit and you know for a fact that he’s innocent, like you were with him all gd night. What? What are you doing?

In short I missed the entire point of the book, unless don’t send your boyfriend to break up with your husband for you was the point, because I spent the entire, I repeat the entire book raging at Celestial because I didn’t like the way she handled things.

My point is, everyone gets something different from each novel. Depending on where they are in their life, what’s important to them. Sometimes even they get something different because of a trigger they either knew or didn’t know they had. You can’t really take someone else’s opinion to know if a novel will have an effect on or mean something to you. 


“An American Marriage” by Tayari Jones

https://www.google.com/books/edition/An_American_Marriage/6JNFDwAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=0

Comments