When you go for Buffy and Come Out with Angel

This past weekend my husband mentioned an urge to visit the comic shop and pick up some reading material. I am never one to say no to new reading material. As you may have guessed this is my very very large flaw. I cannot go into a bookstore to “just browse”. I will leave with something, and by something I mean several things.

After recently finishing “Hellmouth” accompanied by a friend of mine beginning a Buffy podcast and hubby and I deciding to actually try watching Buffy, partially due to the podcast partially due to our love of Joss Whedon and our sadness over finishing all of “Firefly”.

In short I decided that picking up another Buffy comic was a good idea. However I could not get interested in any of the ones at the shop. The exact combination of illustrators etc I had found before was eluding me this time and as I’ve previously mentioned I can’t read it if I am not instantly drawn to the artwork. For me the artwork is like the first chapter of a book, if I’m not instantly into it, I don’t have the attention span to keep reading.

However I did find the first in a series of Angel comics. If you’ve read or watched anything Buffy related you’ll know that Angel is a supporting character of some kind. He’s introduced in the first episode of the tv series. Anyway I liked the artwork in the Angel comic so I picked it up.

….sorry Buffy, but I think I’ve found the character I actually care about in this story line.

Angel is a vampire, I’ve always been kind of fascinated with vampire stories. I’m not really sure why, and I’ve never really wasted too much thought considering why. They’re interesting, kind of in the same way people are interested in True Crime stories, you want to know how their minds work...I guess...like I said, haven’t spent that much time thinking about it and am probably not going to start now.

Anyway back to Angel. He’s a vampire, who fights vampires. He’s a vampire who has some semblance of a soul. Which makes him extremely intriguing as a character. When I read “Hellmouth” last week I was already drawn to his character as I really enjoyed a vampire who is against vampires. It’s an anomaly, and it’s fascinating.

While fascinating this particular issue was a little confusing, it was bouncing back and forth between many years ago and present day. What I got from it was that it was giving the background of Angel, where he came from and why he became what he is now, not just a vampire, but a vampire with a conscience. A vampire out to destroy evil.

I am definitly going to continue this particular Angel series and see where it goes. I know it’ll bring Buff in as a supporting character as it has already mentioned “The Slayer” as being someone important to Angel’s future, but he hasn’t actually met her yet in this particular issue. I know some die hard Buffy fans wouldn’t appreciate her being the lesser character, but I’m actually looking forward to exploring the story from this more side-line character’s point of view.

“Angel, Volume One Being Human” by Joss Whedon and Bryan Edward Hill, Gleb Melnikov (Illustrator), Gabriel Cassata (Colorist), Roman Titov (Colorist), Dan Panosian (Cover Artist)https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/46046933-angel-vol-1

Comments