Magic and Soulmates

Sometimes the magic you want in your life isn’t the magic you need....


I found the Caraval series after my sister recommended “The Night Circus” by Erin Morgenstern. I loved it so much I actually googled what to read if you loved “The Night Circus”. I took a chance on “Caraval” by Stephanie Garber and got my sister so enraptured with it that she bought the next two books in the series and then sent them to me to forcibly make me read them. 


While the middle book was hard for me to get through the final chapter “Finale” was blazed through, slowed only by some personal health problems that kept me from being able to concentrate on reading or doing anything of any value aside from struggling through a work day. 


“Finale” is finally the love story you’ve been internally begging for throughout the last two books, which hint at a love story but only really ever give you a love story between Scarlet and Tella, or Tella and their mother. 


100% I rooted for Jacks half the time while reading this model and I have zero shame about it. I root for the underdog, the bad boy, the one that seems the villain but you’re desperately hoping he turns into the hero. Kind of how Dante was through the last few books I guess. Maybe I’m just a sucker for soulmates. 


I think I’ve mentioned before the myth that says soulmates are tied together with a red string and no matter what happens they are destined to be a part of each other’s lives at some point. However this myth does not only pertain to romantic love, it also does not designate that soulmates are forever, it designates that soulmates are destined to meet. 


I listened to a very short audiobook a couple years ago called “The Sun is Also a Star” which posed an interesting idea. That meant to be doesn’t necessarily mean forever. That meant to be could mean it’s meant to be for that moment, for that day. 


With this theory both Jacks and Dante can be Tella’s soulmate. They are both people...okay not exactly humans, but I’m not going to get into that right now. They are both people that Tella is destined to meet. They both play a vital part in her story. While there are romantic feelings for both of them the book ties it to her being in love with one of them not the other. I feel like this does not negate the feelings she has for the other man (again not getting into exactly what you classify an immortal as). One she was destined to meet and was destined to be an important part of her story the other was meant to be what we usually consider as a soulmate, the love of her life. 


All in all, I was not disappointed about any of the ways the novel played out. I didn’t feel like it was rushed as I often feel in the final novels of a series, like the author is trying to tie everything up too quickly. It felt like a perfectly natural progression and she did such an amazing job tying up the loose ends and giving you closure that a very rare occurrence for me happened. I have no questions, I’m not yearning for another book. Obviously I enjoy her writing and would love more books from her however I don’t need them to be the same characters. I don’t need to see or imagine their story further, they are set on the paths they should be and everything has been concluded in my head. 



“Finale” by Stephanie Garber

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Finale/ybBrDwAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=0


Also mentioned “The Sun is Also a Star” by Nicola Yoon

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Sun_Is_Also_a_Star/AJr9CwAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=0


Comments