When you have to be scared of trees


Why are they here? What do they want. Do they even want anything?

I for the life of me cannot understand why I am drawn to these crazy scifi scenarios. It’s terrifying if you actually think about it, but because we haven’t actually had contact with other life forms in the universe I can handle it. Me who cringes and refuses to watch horror films or scary movies, and if I read a murder mystery I will be up literally all night to finish the book because I cannot sleep until I know the bad guy is in jail. It’s that fun little anxiety part of my brain, mixed with too many novels as a child and an overactive imagination… I get drawn into stories too much and will have a panic attack. 

For better or worse I am hooked on the scifi comic series “Trees” by Warren Ellis and Jason Howard. It is so fascinating! On the one hand you have these super scary “trees” or giant towers crashing to earth and causing mass destruction and then doing nothing….for 10 years. On the other hand you have them start sprouting these insane black flowers that will literally eat you alive and then everywhere within a certain mile radius no matter how high in the air it is, it explodes and is no more.

WHAT?!?!?!

Okay and that was just the first edition (granted editions have several episodes in them, I’m just too lazy to buy each tiny episode, I like at least a good hour of reading before having to go back to the store).

I genuinely love that the author let one person survive. One lone person, I honestly can’t decide if I’m happy for her or extremely sad for her. What must that feel like? To go through what literally felt like the end of your life, to see everyone you work with die and then survive when they don’t. I mean talk about survivors guilt, that’s a recipe for it.

Anyway, I love that the author let her survive because it gives you a connection. One person who doesn’t have their head up their ass and actually has a clue as to what to look for, what a possible warning sign might be for this happening again, and the distinct knowledge that this will happen again.

I think she really should heed Ian’s theory about why the trees were dropped in the exact places they were dropped. It’s very naive of us to think that there is not for certain other life forms out there, and very prideful of us to think that we would by default be the wisest and most advanced of those life forms. To alien’s we are the alien’s, they may not care about us and if they have their own form of humanity it may not extend to us. They could very well drop these beacon towers, pull the very essence of an ancient civilization up from the ground it’s been buried in and then blast their knowledge beacon back to themselves with it. And as was made very clear when the trees dropped, blasting them back into orbit would most definitely cause mass destruction again.

That’s my two cents theory on what may or may not be happening, though I guess I’ll have to keep reading till the author chooses to reveal….back to the comic shop I go...jk we’re in quarantine, back to emailing them and waiting till I can pick-up.

“Trees” Warren Ellis and Jason Howard
https://imagecomics.com/comics/series/trees

Comments