Throwing it back to the warrior we should all be

Unfortunately I have been unable to complete another book in the last two days, not for a lack of trying however with the quarantine depression setting in hard I’ve had to be an adult and go to bed on time so I have an actual chance to pull my butt out of bed for work in the morning.

I’m going to bounce it back to one of my favorite books, that I listened to in the last couple years. “Love Warrior” by Glennon Doyle. This poignant memoir about a woman who has always had trouble fitting in, feeling socially awkward as hell and finally beginning to own her life after discovering that her husband has been cheating their entire marriage.

Listening to Glennon be so open and honest about her struggles to feel comfortable around other people since childhood resonated with me. I feel her pain, as I’m sure many of us do. The kids who’s anxiety started young even though we didn’t realize it till we were adults ourselves. The kids afraid to speak up because what if what they said was wrong. What if they didn’t know the rules, what if people made fun of them….

I was one of those kids, as much as I hate to admit it, I am still one of those adults. It’s a journey every day trying to speak up for myself, telling the cashier that no I actually asked for the blended coffee not the iced coffee, rather than not wanting to be an asshole and just taking the iced coffee even though it’s not what I ordered. It’s a real struggle, I take anxiety medication daily, which keeps me from the daily panic attacks I was having last year, but does nothing for the constant nagging social anxiety I have had for as long as I can remember, I can’t even pinpoint when it started, a trigger, someone telling me I was annoying or too loud, I only remember always worrying that someone would be mad at me.

Glennon starts off that way, and then man does she bloom once she hears the truth of the lie her marriage has been. From yelling at the therapist to owning her life, telling off the do-gooders who try and tell her she’ll go to hell for divorce. To my absolute favorite passage of the book when she yells at a garbage collector that was very obviously about to whistle at her. That is a passage I will never forget. Glennon pointing her finger at the unsuspecting male and saying “No, you don’t get to do that to me”.

Glennon is who I want to be when I grow up. Glennon went from the social awkward constantly uncomfortable in her own skin person that I live as day to day and bloomed very quickly into this incredible force. Though as is very quickly apparent in the beginning of her new novel, she has not shed social awkwardness. I find that comforting, I would think I’d be looking for her to be completely zen in any atmosphere, but that would make it less easy to relate to her, because she would be one of them. One of the people who are always at ease and make me 20 times more uncomfortable.

“Love Warrior” by Glennon Doyle

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Love_Warrior/eTuKCwAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=0

Comments