Literary Soulmates & Curbside Dreams

As of yesterday L.A. has eased restrictions to allow for retailers to offer curbside pickup. As an employee of and manager of a small business I am so incredibly excited about this. While my business is not retail and we have been functioning all along under the allowed restrictions, small businesses are close to my heart. I am so excited to be able to support the small businesses in my area that I may not have realized how much I love and appreciate until I was cut off from them and hoping, praying they could survive until this crisis is over. 

One such business is a local comic book shop that until recently when my husband got back into comic books and dragged me along for the ride, I had never been in. This tiny shop with its funky sign caught my eye every day on the way home from work and has quickly become a place I love.

I am a bookworm, and while you no longer find me in the aisles of a bookstore pouring over descriptions of books (as I’ve been on a self-imposed buying hiatus for the past 4 years) you can find me spending an hour in this tiny shop standing on my tiptoes to read the titles searching for another graphic novel to read.

Not trying to be edgy but just wanting something that was mine, I’ve been trying to stray away from the main series’ and find my own niche to love. I found that finally and as of yesterday treated myself to the second edition….my poor bank account is not going to enjoy this whole curbside status. 

However a couple nights ago when I was missing flipping through comics in the shop and finding a new gem to take home, my husband suggested...and by suggested I mean yelled in my general direction that I needed to read his Captain Marvel ones and stop whining. So I settled in with the three issues he currently had. 

I am in love...with a fictional, superhero girl…

I could not put the issues down, I read all 3 in less than an hour and cried a little bit when I realized we didn’t have any more to read. The last time I was this involved in a character/story was over a year ago….sincerely Sarah J Maas needs to write another “Court Of” stat! (I think if I remember correctly she’s working on one and it’s coming out this year, I’m just impatient as hell)

I absolutely love the sas Carol portrays and how the comics include all of the sarcastic comments and snarky train of thought that goes on inside her head. Carol Danvers is my new icon. I cannot wait for them to finish this new story arc, because I want to read them all...and then I want to go back and read all the previous story arcs surrounding her character.

She is amazing, I’m obsessed and I think everyone should keep reading until they find their character soul mate. Also support your local businesses, a lot of them have instagrams you can follow, they show products, give tips on their availability and how they are navigating this whole new order. Let's make sure they stay in business because honestly small businesses are the greatest. My husband gets greeted by name on site when he walks into the comic shop. They know their product, they’re passionate about it, and that’s what I feel the whole world needs, people who are passionate about their jobs, where they actually enjoy their job. Life needs to start being more about life and less about working your ass off until you die.

Comments