Hurricane's and Quarantines

The world is shut down, everyone is quarantined in their own homes and somehow, I decide this is the perfect time to start listening to a novel about a hurricane. We should probably just be honest right now and say that timing is not my greatest strength. Yet I actually found myself really enjoying this novel. The current world situation actually made it relatable for me. For those of you in hurricane territory you are probably asking what the hell I’m talking about, this isn’t some crazy thing, it’s hurricane time.

Anyway while listening to “No Judgments” by Meg Cabot I found myself completely relating to struggling to find items you need. The fear and uncertainty Bri felt with how to handle the situation, spoke straight to me as I began this book the day the safer at home order fell into place.

Despite what I’ve said so far this novel wasn’t about a hurricane. Yes that is the most obvious situation in the book, it follows a story line before, during and after a hurricane. However this novel spoke to me more about our inability to believe women, or anyone in an uncomfortable situation. About how running from your problems doesn't solve anything, how we have to face problems head on, that we should be who we are and find our own inner badass. Let that bad bitch out and let her shine.

In the novel Bri went from someone clearly running from their problems, to someone taking charge, being unafraid, undaunted and honestly turning into my personal hero. She went after what was important to her, she followed her heart, and she stood up for herself and what she believed in.

When she refused to let Drew confront her problems for her and instead insisted on handling them herself, I was pumping my fist in the air so damn proud of our girl. I’m sure some very bored people in my neighborhood now think I’m crazy as I happened to be walking around my neighborhood in an attempt to stay sane while listening to that portion of the book….but I’m okay with that, maybe they’ll stay further away from me and keep their germs to themselves. We need more books like this, we need the girl power take no shit books. The books where a man does something and we refuse to let him get away with it simply because he was drunk or everyone likes him. I want ever young girl growing up reading novels like these, novels where a girl takes charge and kicks ass. A novel where the men are side characters and the girls don't really need them, they are the supporting characters.


I'm not saying this novel stands alone, I've read increasingly more novels with female heroines since becoming an adult, but there need to be more, there need to be more accessible to young girls, girls who love books but find themselves faced with a bunch of male heroes a bunch of sidling girls who are supporting characters. I feel like this is changing and it makes me so incredibly happy. So excited to see what a generation of women who saw themselves represented who saw girls overcome, girls kick ass, girls not be saved by the knight on the white horse. Because believe me when I say that those girls, those girls will be an unstoppable force.

Comments