When all else fails have someone read it to you

Secret societies, magic, ghosts….what could possibly go wrong? Initially I was not able to get into the story, until I listened to the audiobook. I guess some books just have to be read to you to hold your attention. For instance I CANNOT read a “Cat Who” book, i tried and failed miserably so many times….I LOVE the audiobooks, I have many memories of sitting in my basement at a card table working on a puzzle as a kid with one of my mom’s “Cat Who” tapes in my portable player enthralled in the story. But I could not read the book myself; it bored me to death. I actually find this very interesting, how we are able to read or not read novels based on the format it’s presented to us in, the time in our life we are going through etc.

“Ninth House” was an epic tale of secrets, mystery and magic. I thoroughly enjoyed it once the narrators were reading it to me. I loved that the author took real secret societies at Yale and based her story around them. I found this out listening to a portion of the interview with the author after the book ended and I was not quite home so it kept playing….and yes I did google the societies, and yes I did look up my favorite ghost in the story and no spoiler alter the Bridegroom was not a real person and I am absolutely upset about that.

More than scandalizing actual secret societies and drawing on history and real buildings for inspiration (something the designer in me freaking loved!) The story brings so many issues to light. The most pressing being our belief in the things women tell us.

Alex spent her entire life being made to feel crazy, simply because she saw things other people didn’t. Mercy was assaulted and no one bothered to ask why, had she really been willing? It’s amazing how simple moments in a story can really be representative of the tragedy that is the female narrative in a lot of cases. I absolutely loved Alex’s instant belief in her, Pammie’s comparison to Alex being told she was crazy to a girl being told her skirt is too short.

As a girl who has grown up reading rather fluently to find such a kick-ass book where the girl doesn’t need anyone to save her, where the girl is a badass all on her own and with the help of other badass girls. I cannot explain how refreshing that is.

All in all, I highly recommend getting through the first chapter of “Ninth House” because it really is worth finishing. The final curveball was having me internally screaming, begging the author to not end it that way. In the end I am extremely happy with the ending, it was an amazing book, and I really hope the way she ended it is leading to a sequel.

“Ninth House” by Leigh Bardugo
https://www.google.com/books/edition/Ninth_House/6dt_DwAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=0

Comments