A Heart to Heart and a Happy Ending

Do you ever read a book and really just relate to the character? To the point that you would joke to a friend that you felt "personally attacked"? 

That was me with my most recent audiobook. Listening to a book about a girl who had given up on love. A girl who felt like she was just not the marrying type. Oh man, that spoke to college age me on a whole other level. Which really made the book speak to me. The main character, I understood her, well I understood her on that level, I'm not entirely sure I would ever would have had the balls to pretend to date someone. But hey that's just me. 

Overall I liked the story, it was cute, and definitely relatable. Though it did strike me as taking direct inspiration from "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days". Constantly while listening to the book I was having flashes back to watching that movie a million and a half times with my mom and sister (what can I say, we watch anything with Matthew Mcconaughy in it...on repeat). 

In actuality it was a different story, while the same base plot-line my have been followed, it told the narrative in a new way, it wasn't just two people trying to get ahead at work and using a "love bet" to achieve those goals, it was dealing with what I feel is a deep seated issue for a lot of women in today's day and age, where it's either put up with a ton of assholes, or give up and stop caring completely.

And further while I will admit I had a few moments of judgement because I grew up watching that movie and felt loyalty to it. I was reminded yet again of being in college and how in one of my classes we discussed the fact that there are essentially no new ideas at this point. Everything is an appropriation in some form or other of something that came before. 

Personally I think this particular appropriation of your basic, guy and girl trying to get ahead in work, trying to prove that love does or does not exist and that he/she are capable of it etc was retold quite well in this short witty novel, and I would definitely recommend to anyone in the mood for some empowering and sweet literature. 


“Not the Girl you Marry” by Andie J Christopher

Comments

Post a Comment